Wednesday, September 4, 2013

When the Going Gets Tough, New Yorkers Get Helpful

I, like the, perhaps, millions of other New Yorkers, commute to work and other places by train, frequently. For those of you are familiar, whenever you are a daily commuter, or at least a frequent commuter using the buses and trains, here in New York City, you have the option of purchasing various unlimited cards, whether it's a 7-day, or 30-day unlimited, or any other type. And, if you are economically mindful, you might buy yourself an unlimited card, even though it may cost more at that instant, but pays off in the long run. Nevertheless, and for me, if I'm never too happy having to spend more money at an instant, to buy a metro card that gives unlimited rides, that apprehension takes a turn for joy whenever I am given the opportunity to 'swipe' someone waiting at the train station to 'jump' on the train, but who may not have any metro card or money to purchase a metro card in order to travel. I imagine this type of joyous feeling transcends to most, if not all, of the other people who find themselves agreeing to 'swipe' a traveler into the train station. For me, this usually happens in the mornings, when I am headed to work. What a way to start the day! Who said coffee is a waker-upper? 

Besides the morning thrill of helping someone, which I trust all others who swipe commuters in feel, there are at least two greater underlying issues which I would like to discuss. The first one is the ECONOMIC issue, and the second is the PHILANTHROPIC response of New Yorkers. 

To see people standing, patiently waiting for 'help' to get on the train, it is reasonable to think immediately of the, perhaps, not so favorable economic state of many people living in the USA, many of whom may not have jobs, or simply cannot afford to pay for transportation, because their budgets do not allow it.Things are hard, things are tough, for many people, who especially are not within the 1% echelon. That means there are quite a great portion of people within the other 99% who are constantly trying to make ends meet, if not "struggling."

The second observation, the philanthropic response, highlights the kindness and big-hardheartedness of strangers, many of whom are likely to be New Yorkers, and who display their sense of philanthropy when they give a stranger a pass at the train station.  This is usually someone they have never met or seen in their life, before, and whom they may never meet or see again! This social phenomenon seems to be becoming so much of a trend, that it appears to be a second nature response, a reflex action, taken by those who are willing and ready to help the other person. There is also a great irony in all this, because if you live in New York, or ever visited New York City, you may find that people are usually busy, on the go, running to get to wherever they have to go, sometimes, or running to get to the trains. People usually do not have time to stop and linger or loiter, let alone help someone. Fortunately, there is a group of people, who despite their busyness are willing to take the time to stop and help someone  in need.
A recent Business Insider poll showed that New Yorkers are the rudest of all the people in the entire US. They have also been judged "less friendliest." This is what Huffington Post had to say in response: "Shocking no one, New York was voted the rudest, most arrogant state in the entire country, according to a newly released Business Insider/Survey Monkey poll. The results follow a long tradition of hating on the Empire State -- the trash, the noise! -- but as our arrogant title suggests, do we really care? In fact, maybe New Yorkers take pride in their awful reputation. Because when it truly counts, New Yorkers are incredibly kind,upbeat citizens who know not to let a bit of fighting words get in the way of doing awesome things, all the time."
It was after I read that article, on New Yorkers being voted the rudest of all people in the entire US, that I really started to observe and pay attention to the fact that I was not the only person 'swiping people in', but other New Yorkers, as well. The gesture of 'swiping in' displayed a sense of camaraderie amongst strangers, to me, and made me shake my head, when I recalled the recent poll findings. If only Business Insider could have seen this; in fact if only Business Insider could have taken a little more time to investigate, it might find otherwise.

Now, whenever I purchase my unlimited ride card, I am always reminded that I am not only purchasing for myself to ride, but for all the other future, unknown strangers needing a 'swipe in', such as those that I tend to encounter on a daily basis at the train station, and who wait patiently for some good-natured person to swipe them in for free, or at least someone, if not good-natured, who is willing to pay the cost for 'some stranger' to travel.

And though I usually do not extend kindness in order to get something in return, I have found that if I am busy searching for my metro card at the train station (happens a lot when you're a bit disorganized...winks), people would offer to swipe me in. As recent as yesterday, I was gathering up my money to purchase some rides, and a goodly NYPD officer came over to me and told me to go right into the station, and not to worry about getting my metro card/ride. These are the actions that move my soul, every time. 

The gesture is out there, the element of kindness and brotherhood is swirling around, and those who are captured in the whirlwind  stand to benefit; they stand to receive the reciprocity of their actions. Good attract good. The universe is watching, and it is speaking in its unspoken language, by attracting the same kind of action to those whom it perceives is engaging in the act of giving. You might think all this sounds kind of self-righteous. However, the principles of giving and receiving has been tried and proven, time and time again. 

If nothing else, this a sign, this social phenomenon is a good indication that when the "going gets tough" New Yorkers get helpful! Thumbs up New Yorkers!

Copyright 2013. All rights reserved.

What are your views? Do tell. See the comment box below.

No comments:

Post a Comment